Excitement is building as our preschool opening day approaches, we are almost ready but are you and your child?
Starting preschool can be a daunting experience for both children and their parents but there are steps you can take to make the process go as smoothly as possible.
- Talk about going to preschool with your child using books, tv programmes and toys but don’t push it too hard if they don’t show much interest.
- Take advantage of any settling in visits you are offered to familiarise yourself with the setting and allow your child to see what preschool is.
- Make sure you know who your child’s keyworker is and that your child knows their name, they will be one who settles your child, tells you about their day and completes their developmental records.
- Please fill in any “all about me” forms you are given, these give an insight into your child and will help settle them in.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions about how your preschool works they should be happy to help.
On your child’s first day make sure:
- They are wearing their uniform if required.
- They are dressed appropriately for the weather, they will be going out!
- They have named bag with a change of clothes and nappies/wipes/bags if required
- If they are having a packed lunch ensure there are some lovely healthy treats in a named box from them to enjoy
Try to be positive and cheerful about their new adventure and send them off with a kiss and a cuddle. We know how hard it is but it will help even if you cry all the way home! Preschool is the next step on their learning adventure and having a positive experience now will help every transition in the future.
Here at Daisychain we are planning lots of positive experiences for the children in our first term with an emphasis on getting to know each other. Hopefully the weather will be kind and we will get to spend lots of time outside exploring our lovely setting.